Monday, August 18, 2008

The importance of backups

I came into the office this morning to discover that our main data server has a corrupt array. In layman's terms, this is VERY bad. This means that potentially, we've lost all our data. I was able to fix the problem (an issue with Windows Server 2k and the HDD), but this got me worried about the vulnerability of our data systems, and the effectiveness of our backups.

It is my standard practice to perform daily backups of the data onto an external, password encrypted drive, and a 2nd blank HDD. I also run periodic restores a 3rd HDD. However, I noticed today that although the restore file matches the material in the backup, the arrangement is different (additional folders/subfolders). This is an error caused when the backup was created, but would cause a stressful headache if we ever had to utilize this file system. This is an example of why continually checking your restore files is highly important.

No comments:

Post a Comment