Friday, February 27, 2009

I'm Solo by Choice (or Force)

I get quite a fair number of questions from new or soon-to-be attorneys about starting their own practice. Most of these new entrepreneurs are concerned about the state of the economy, and the potential exposure to a future catastrophe, if they join a firm. Being a relatively new attorney myself, I think these lawyers find comfort in the idea that someone else is doing it, and he's surviving. I don't know whether very many of them are truly seriously considering the solo option, most are "just considering it if something else doesn't come along."

Well, my first response to that is, "what will you do if something doesn't come along?" I think a lot of people are hoping to have something nailed down, but in reality, there's still far too many people who graduate, pass the bar, and remain unemployed. I don't know about you, but I didn't go to law school and incur a large debt just to find a job waiting tables at the local Texas Roadhouse restaurant. I knew I needed money, or some kind of career immediately, so I branched out on my own. I started Absolute Legal Services, LLC, and couldn't be happier. While I'm not bringing in the large (and stable) paychecks an associate does, I have the freedom and security that I was looking for.

I wrote about my suggestions previously, I still endorse those, and add one more: in this endeavor, you're captain, cook and chief toilet scrubber, get used to it. If you can't/don't want to type your own letters and lick your own envelopes, this probably isn't a good fit. Also, always remember, you can be pretty picky with your cases/clients at the beginning of the month, but by the end of the month, you're willing to do just about anything that pays some money. However, never forget that you have an ethical responsibility to be competent at every case (this doesn't mean you know what you're doing when you start), and if you can't, you'd better get help.

I'm heading into my 6th month of active practice. Time flies! Take every advantage that you can to create your own personal happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment