Thursday, July 30, 2009

Practice Management Software

There's a debate over at the Solosez list-serv about whether attorneys really need practice management software, or whether MS Outlook can do the trick.

Allison Shields has a great post, which effectively argues for practice management software.

I'm going to throw my hat in the ring, because I used to believe one school (MS Outlook is okay), and have converted.

Although I think you can manage your practice without the use of "PMS", you'll thank yourself if you use it. I recently (about 4 months ago) incorporated PracticeMaster into my business. I chose PM primarily based on price, but also because I tried the software and found it fit my needs.

Here is what I've found:

1. Outlook is a tough way to organize client notes, documents, files, and related parties. PMS allows you to easily document conversations with clients, opposing counsel, and 3rd parties. It eliminates "Post-it Note-taking", and merges the notes into the client file.
2. I no longer have 3 (or more) different documents to help task/track my clients. I used a combination of an Excel file, Word document, and yellow pad to make assignments, track the number of cases, and create necessary tasks. PMS gives me an organized list of my clients, the type of matter, and their contact information, in addition to any other information I need. The great thing too is that my email messages and documents get incorporated as "journal" and "doc" entries to review in the PracticeMaster program. It's unnecessary for me to flip between 3 or 4 different computer folders, files, programs or documents.
3. Cost savings. I purchased the "Basic" version of PracticeMaster because I felt I didn't need some of the extended features. I would recommend going for the Premier version of the program for 2 reasons. 1st: "PM Briefcase" to use on your laptop; and 2nd: Document Assembly. Although neither of these features has been vitally important, there have been times when I wished I had them. I chose the "smaller" version because for under $250 I could have 2 clients running (me and an intern/assistant), and the maintenance package. Talk about money well spent!

No comments:

Post a Comment