Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Google Alerts

I'm a Google "Homer." Although I haven't moved my word processing and all of my email to the Google "cloud," almost everything else is handled by my friends 2,500 miles away.

I think the company is innovative, and provides great services for managing information. I've been using one of their newer products, Google Alerts, for awhile now. This is a great tool for gathering information about particular topics.

With GA, I can set a search term for the Google bots to look for, and they'll provide me an RSS update of all the information they find, as it happens. This is particularly great for gathering news or ideas for blog posts and stories related to my legal practice. 

One of my favorite searches is the "site: nameofsite.com" search. With this search, you can clip anything that gets unknowingly posted to your site, or in my case, those spam attacks that try to inundate your site with ads for male enhancement pills.

If you're running out of innovative ideas, or you want to keep tabs on competition, give Google Alerts a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment