Thursday, January 14, 2010

IP Protection

One of the great things about hosting your own website or blog is the ability to customize it in a variety of ways, including on the server side.

I recently discovered a feature (which I'm sure you already knew about) that allows me to block ".htaccess" to my website. My host provides a number of "CPanel" controls to edit particular .htaccess features. Some of these include IP address blocking, password protection, and URL redirects.

Since I have been receiving a lot of unsolicited emails alerting me that I have millions of dollars waiting in some Nigerian bank, I decided to start blocking these senders' email addresses.

My host allows me to enter a specific IP address, or a range of IP addresses. If you're going to block the range, you only need the first 3 proxy ranges: xx.xx.xxx, rather than the full address.

I know this is a limited protection, and isn't likely to cause too much damage, but if I can stop/slow down one more foreign idiot, I'll be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment