Friday, October 8, 2010

The Law School Application

It's almost that time of year again when the young, aspiring, Type-A personalities begin setting their sights on law school admission. 

Most of the planners took their June LSAT, in anticipation for the December early applications. Many plotted through the summer examining their chances of admission based on their prospective scores and the LSAC's charts. Many also used the time to work on the puffery known as the personal statement.

Yes, I remember it quite well. Although I don't recall exactly what idiotic, self-serving fluff I added (I'm sure I talked about my Eagle Scout award, and my "academic adversity"), I know, somewhere in some dank admissions office, someone had to read it. I apologize profusely to those admissions officers.

The ABA Journal has an article focusing on some of the common errors despised by Yale Law School associate dean of admissions Asha Rangappa. Although I don't recall being any one of the 3 mentioned (perhaps I was the trivial disappointment), certainly nobody likes any of them.

As a side note, don't 1 and 3 eventually become the "gunners"?

So, if you're planning on applying to law school, be conscious about your personal statement. There seems to be one unifying aspect about personal statements: be original.

P.S. You may also want to read this Technolawyer Blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment