Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Using Adobe Acrobat in Your Practice

I love Adobe Acrobat. I don't know why more law schools don't offer an Adobe Acrobat/technology training class (oh wait, they're not interested in providing practical skills), because of its necessity in everyday work.

I can honestly say that next to PracticeMaster, Acrobat 9 is my most used program.

Many law firms struggle trying to go "paperless." I've been paperless since the opening of my law firm, and haven't missed those opportunities to scramble through reams of paper in search of that elusive document.

Ernie Svenson is the "Acrobat Ace." I'm sure somewhere on his body he as "I [Heart] Acrobat" tattooed. Needless to say, if you're not reading his insights on his PDF for Lawyers blog, you're missing out. 

Ernie first introduced me to many of the subtle nuances of Acrobat, including my all-time favorite, digital signatures.

The add-in is simple, and provides an excellent method for signing a document without ever lifting a pen. I commonly use this stamp when I want to fax (I use internet faxing) or email a document.

My second-favorite Acrobat tool is the redaction function. I've witnessed far too many "old schoolers" mark production documents with black pens or sticky tabs before copying them and redacting the information (or worse, sending the document with the black markout to me - I can still see the information). This is a terribly time consuming process, and more importantly, it's often ineffective.

Acrobat contains a redaction function that allows you to select the offending text and press a simple key. You can change the color (my favorite is "none") to match the paper/background. When printed, the document loses its redacted information.

If you're not using Acrobat, you're missing out on a great tool. If you don't know how to use Acrobat, get a copy and start playing around. There are numerous websites that discuss Acrobat and its features. Acrobat is the standard for lawyers, and therefore, every new attorney should have an intimate grasp on the "how-tos."

P.S. Once again, nobody paid me to endorse these products or Ernie, although I'd gladly accept all cashier's checks or money orders sent to...

No comments:

Post a Comment