Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Being "Cool"

I had an interesting discussion yesterday with a colleague in the office about "coolness." She commented that she believed that coolness stemmed from the essence of one's confidence in a matter. Based on my experience and perceptions of cool people, I wholeheartedly agreed.

It's quite simply the easiest concept: coolness stems from confidence. I think this can be applied to any situation. You remember the line in the movie Napoleon Dynamite, where Pedro says "all your dreams will come true?" I think the more confidence you exude, the greater the chance you'll have of achieving your dreams.

A lot of new lawyers are hesitant to strike out on their own because of a number of factors, including a lack of confidence. Most new lawyers who enter the legal field find that they're decreasingly capable of "doing the job" they spent 3 years and $100k-plus to learn. This can create some anxiety.

The problem a new lawyer has is that they're ill-equipped with the confidence to know that lawyering is as much about your persona, as it is about your knowledge. I always like to think back and ask, "what did the old-school attorneys do before they spent 3 years and $100k-plus at law school?" Those lawyers went out on learned what they needed to do. They watched others, they read cases and arguments, they jumped into it with confidence.

Arguably, law school gives you squat when it comes to actual, lawyer skills. Therefore, have some confidence and go out and become a great lawyer. Don't worry about whether you'll be able to make the right arguments, or perform correctly. Step in and exude confidence, you'll be fine.

I think the same goes true if you're hunting for a job or trying to bring in clients. People want you to be confident, and they want to feel comfortable when they're speaking with you. Use confident boldness to project your dreams, desires, and aspirations.

2 comments:

  1. Enjoyed the post Jeff. I am now a regular reader of Legally Easy. I plan to spend the rest of the day reading old posts and have added you to our blog roll. I just need to figure out who to bill the time too. kidding of course

    When it comes to coolness I invite you to read my post on "The Art of the Schmooze" on the Nutmeg Lawyer http://thenutmeglawyer.blogspot.com/
    There should be a link to it on the side panel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comments. I have read the post, and really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete