Friday, March 19, 2010

Location, Location, Location

I went to work with another young, solo attorney this week, and we had an interesting debate on the necessity of an office.

My thought has always been that a solo attorney doesn't need an actual office, if you're equipped to handle non-location-related things.

For instance, if your office is paper-dependent, and you need to have files upon files of paper stacked in binders, pouches, and nooks, then I guess an office is important. However, if you've moved your office work into the 21st century (meaning you're scanning & mobile), then actual office space isn't so important.

My colleague however, is quite adamant that you need an office for at least two things: appearance and somewhere to meet.

His point was that people want to see that you have a nice space to present, and you always need a conference room (and storage space). He objected to my suggestion that you could meet clients in their homes, at the library, courthouse, or other public/private venue. He said clients, especially those business clients want to be at your office, they want to come see you.

I politely doubted that was the case, as most individuals view going to the attorney's office about as much of a priority as waiting at a doctor's office for 2 hours. "The fact is," I told him, "the only person who views that as an important aspect of their work is the attorney." I think it stems from an ego thing.

Now, are there aspects of his argument that I agree with? Absolutely! I do not believe that it's in my best interest to not have a home-based office. I find it soothing to leave for work each day (not to mention I think my wife would kill me - "when you're home, be home," she says). Nor do I believe I could sit at the courthouse all day waiting for client meetings, but those are just my quirks, and don't truly affect the overall workability of the plan.

I manage a tight/lean office. I can receive calls to my Droid via Google Voice. My voice messages get transcribed and emailed to me via GV. My office calendar on Outlook/PracticeMaster syncs with my Google account, so I can receive and view appointments (who else is imputing appointments?). I can sync my office files with my laptop to go anywhere (I don't do that yet), or access my desktop through logmein.com or gotomypc.com (a BIG life saver). Note too, with my Droid, I can tether my laptop to my cell phone and work from anywhere there's coverage. I scan all my documents, and work exclusively (although I do keep the originals, for now) with my digital files. Basically, about the only thing I'm not doing is receiving mail via email, and there's even a service for that.

No, I truly believe that one could move to a location-free office structure, and manage just fine. But that's just my opinion, I'd like to hear yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment