Thursday, March 18, 2010

Smartphones: iPod Touch v. Droid

First, let me say that I'm not an expert by any means on technology. I'll defer to Dennis Kennedy, Jim Calloway, or the iPhone JD, Jeff Richardson, for that expertise. That said, I am a bit of a technophile, and enjoy new gadgets and gizmos as much as any 30-something with an identity complex.

I just recently switched from using an iPod Touch in my practice, to the Motorola Droid. My main reason for switching wasn't because of the Droid's superior capabilities or technological advantages, it was a simple act of spite with AT&T. No, I wanted to purchase/upgrade my current phone to an iPhone, but the customer service representative wouldn't allow me to, without a lot of other conditions.

So, as any arrogant individual does, I huffed off, canceled my AT&T plan, purchased a Verizon Droid, I've lived in bliss ever since.

iPhone-philes may mock me because I dropped a "superior" phone to go to the clunkier, bulkier, and less aesthetic, Droid. However, here are some of the things I love about the Droid that my iPod Touch didn't do:
  1. Make phone calls using Google Voice. Droid runs on Google, therefore GV is an integrated feature that works fantastic on the Droid. The interface for GV is clean and crisp, and give me access to the messages and ability to call my contacts using my cell phone number, or my Google Voice number. Since my GV number is my law firm's contact number, this is great because I can perform work away from the office, and still appear at the office.
  2. 5 MP camera. The Touch lacked a camera (I hear rumors about one in the next model), but the iPhone has a 2 MP camera, without the ability to shoot video (I know, 3GS does). I've already (I bought the phone March 14, 2010) used the camera and video several times for personal and client-related purposes. I have an 8 MP Nikon I used to carry, but now I'll be taking this.
  3. Turn-by-turn navigation. My next purchase was going to be a TomTom GPS for my car. I'm often driving into the nether parts of the city or country meeting clients, or some other business. My iPod Touch didn't cut it when I got lost, and the Google Map's turn by turn directions could get confusing, and dangerous to try an follow. The free turn-by-turn voice navigation is something that iPod or iPhone couldn't match.
  4. Slide-out keyboard. Although I didn't mind the touch-type keyboard on the iPod Touch, it's nice to have a slide-out keyboard to type, especially when I have "carnie hands.
Now, while I'm quite satisfied with my Droid (you may want to check out this post and others, by Rick Georges, the Futurelawyer. It's rather sickening how much he loves the Droid (wink, wink)), there are some things I'm not particular fond of at this moment (there's probably an "app" or tweak, somewhere).

  1. Audiobooks & music. I don't like how Droid's native player handles audiobooks. I was quite fond of being able to make my own books, have them separated on my iPod, and listen to them. I have two books on my Droid now, but they're lumped with my other music (my "old" method).
  2. Apps. The Android Market doesn't have as many apps as Apple, but, I'm told there are ways to get apps outside of the Market.
  3. Plug location. I really loved where my iPod's charging cable goes. Droid has an awkwardly positioned plug hole that gets in the way if I'm trying to use the keyboard and charge at the same time.
  4. In-call phone/music. I haven't figured out how to control the music when a phone call comes in. I really like iPhone's pause feature to handle incoming phone calls. I'm sure it's possible, and supposed to happen, but I haven't figured it out yet.
Overall, I'm quite impressed with the Motorola Droid. I love the features, and being a Google "homer," I love the integration.

1 comment:

  1. Many of us suffer with the affliction of carnie hands. Great post Jeff. And perfect timing. I was just about to buy a new phone.

    ReplyDelete