Saturday, May 1, 2010

Backup, Backup, Backup!

Graduates and recently terminated attorneys, here's the sad fact: law jobs are scarce. More new graduates and recently terminated associates, find a dismal spot in the job search arena. Unfortunately, and despite the ABA's glossy outlook, fewer law firms are hiring. Many recent law grads take jobs as administrative assistants, waitresses/restaurant servers, or worse, just to pay their bills. 

The truth is, you need to have a backup plan that you can implement if, and when, you can't find "stable" employment.

The trouble with a backup plan, much like its electronic/IT counterpart, is coming up with the right tools and methods for implementing a stable and reliable system.

Your backup plan should answer the following questions:
  1. If I [insert tragic event here: lost my job, couldn't find work after graduation, etc.], then I would do the following: [insert ordered list of possible career choices].
  2. In order to work as a [insert first career choice from ordered list] I would need the following skills: [insert an ordered list of skills/training/knowledge]. Continue answering question 2 for each career choice.
  3. I have experience in the following job-related areas: [insert ordered list of possible experiences].
  4. I need to obtain the following skills if I am going to work as a [insert career choice from question 2]: [list needed skills based on your analysis of the needed skills and current experience from questions 2 and 3].
  5. If I [insert tragic event here], I would need [insert amount of money needed to maintain current lifestyle for 3 months] to pay my bills and keep my current standard of living.
  6. I can talk to the following people about my unemployment status: [insert ordered list of potential contacts].
  7. I can talk to the following people about my desire to work as a [insert first career choice from question 1].
  8. I ____ have ____ have not thought about running my own business as a [insert first career choice from question 1]. Continue answering question 8 for each career choice.
  9. I have the following fears about "hanging my shingle" (working for myself) as a [insert first "I have" career choice from question 8]: [insert ordered list of fears].
  10. I could overcome my fear of [insert first fear] by [insert ordered list or action statement a what you need to do to overcome your first fear]. Continue answering question 10 for each fear.
  11. I know the following people who have hung their shingle, which I can talk to about their experiences: [insert list of people you know who are working for themselves].
  12. If I started running a business as a [insert first "I have" career choice from question 8], I believe I would need the following: [insert ordered list of necessary supplies, training/education, location, etc.] Note: you should answer this question with everything (cost is irrelevant at this moment) you believe would be necessary to operate the business you have identified. Continue answering question 12 for each career choice.
  13. I could realistically operate my business as a [insert first "I have" career choice from question 12], if I had the following: [insert ordered list of essential supplies, training/education, location, equipment, etc.] Note: you should answer this question by narrowing down your list in question 12.
  14. Right now I have, or have access to: [ordered list of supplies or materials identified in question 13.] Continue answering question 14 for each career choice.
  15. I could realistically do without: [list items identified in question 13, but not identified in question 14, which you would not need at this time.] Continue answering question 15 for each career choice.
  16. I believe I could negotiate the following benefits/services/perks, if I decided to open my business as a [[insert first "I have" career choice from question 12]: [insert ordered list of "to do" negotiations; for example, can you negotiate rent?, equipment leasing/purchases?, telephone services?]
  17. I could realistically open my business as a [insert first "I have" career choice from question 12] for [insert dollar figure for expected opening operation expense]. Continue answering question 16 for each career choice.
  18. After evaluating all of my options, I will [insert an action statement about your choice; are you going to open your own business?, speak to others?, continue to collect unemployment and feel sorry for yourself?, take a 2nd job at Burger King]. 
I don't know that this is a perfect list, but I believe this list has a lot of benefits that will help you gain momentum. I think a lot of people get discouraged because they send out tens, hundreds, or thousands of resumes, only to get rejection after rejection. This discouragement then leads to blind thinking, which thwarts any chance of success.

I think too many recently unemployed people rely too heavily on passive job search techniques. These techniques include mailing resumes and searching the career services job boards. Face it, these are useless. I believe if you're going to succeed, you're going to have to make your own success.

This action plan gives you a direction to help steer your outcome. You eliminate fear and floundering, and through these questions, you have identified areas of interest, strengths and weaknesses, and possible networking connections to help build your success. Hopefully too, you've proven to yourself that you can succeed if you chose to "hang a shingle," and that the cost, both financially and personally, isn't too extravagant.

I'd appreciate any comments that you have, and especially any questions or analysis you think others should add to this list.

No comments:

Post a Comment