Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Why I Blog, and You Should Too

Blogging is the new fondue party, all of the cool people are doing it.

You'll recall that I'm an avid (or maybe not so avid) blogger. I publish this site, and the blog on my law firm site. You'll also recall that on a number of occasions, I've posted articles about blogging, and blogging tools. I'm a particularly avid fan of Wordpress and the Headway Theme.

I think blogging gives you a creative outlet, and an opportunity to keep up-to-date on information and current events.

One of the most difficult things is creating fresh content. My goal is to publish 3 posts to my law firm site per week. At first that doesn't seem like a lot, but if you're like me and you're trying to manage a full-time practice, 3 posts, plus everything else, ends up being quite a task.

To help minimize the workload, I find it helpful to mass produce posts when my creativity is high, and schedule them to appear at a later time and date. Some bloggers don't condone this behavior, and may suggest that fresh means fresh. The content loses some of it's quality. I beg to differ, and suggest that whatever your style may be, is the best approach you can take.

A benefit is that having a website with rapidly-changing content improves your web exposure. I remember the "rush to the web" mentality many law firms had regarding the internet. Now, with over a decade of usable internet time and experience behind us, the internet novelty has collapsed. People expect lawyers to have websites, and I think they're kind of shocked when the attorney doesn't.

Unfortunately, as some have suggested, the truth is that law firm websites are merely the conduit for funneling contacts to your business, it's the relationships that matter most. Great clients breed great client referrals and lasting income.

No comments:

Post a Comment