Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Beholden to the special interests

Let me preface this rant by proclaiming my political interests. I am, and proudly support, a Republican ideology. I studied political communication and political science as an undergraduate, and continue to feast on the current political drama. Until his recent demise, I avidly supported Mitt Romney, because of his dedicated Republican idealism (I'm currently supporting Hillary, but that's another story).

So, considering my right-wing agenda, you'd suppose I too would support the Supreme Court's recent ruling in Riegel v. Medtronic, Inc. (2008 WL 440744). What's not to love? The medical device industry strikes a crushing blow to those nasty trial lawyers. Big business (and the economy) win, permitting further expansion and more jobs. And the corporate coffers grow more quickly.
Well, Riegel spits in the face of all Republicans who listened to the Court confirmation hearings, and finally felt we were moving closer to the Republican ideal of less restrictive governmental interference. Instead, Riegel proves that we have an activist Court, seeking to advance someone's political interests. I'm frustrated that this case shows the absolute decline in Federalism. I'm sickened by the slippery-slope this ruling promotes - just how restrictive can this become?
Note: check out this newest, but short-lived victory against political special interests. Prepare for an even more restrictive ratchet when the Court hears and decides Wyeth v. Levine next term.

No comments:

Post a Comment