Thursday, March 27, 2008

What does your performance say about you?

While preparing for future practice, I've been evaluating several products and services. My intent is that following the July bar, I'll buy some of the products. However, three companies either refuse to deliver the demo, or forgot about my request altogether. I'm sadly disappointed that even the DVD and product information touted by that weird gasoline infomercial somewhere in the nether-regions of my satellite channels, has yet to arrive.
The failure of these companies to perform got me thinking about my own undertakings. In a very similar fashion, our performance (or lack thereof) speaks volumes about our commitment to ourselves and others, including clients. The shallow or empty promises lead others to believe that other things take precedent over them. I learned early that when dealing with my 3 year-old, firm promises, followed by quick actions to correct bad behavior or encourage good behavior, were the two keys to proper development.
At the least, your company's communication policies should affirm your desires for timely and prosperous performance. Incorporate that policy into your marketing plan, and customers, clients, colleagues and friends will recognize your commitment to performance.
Here are three keys to better performance:
  1. Set realistic expectations and limits on your communication by developing standards for responding to email and telephone interruptions (my advice is to limit responses to emails/phone calls to 2 particular hours each day, i.e. 8:30 to 9:30 a.m. and 3:30 to 5:00 p.m.);
  2. Ensure that customers, clients and colleagues know and understand your standards, and make them follow those standards;
  3. Set inter-office regulations for handling and/or following up on previous client inquiries using tracking software, Outlook reminders, or another reliable (do not simply write them on a sheet of paper) method.

Remember, you should be the "full-service" individual. The best way to achieve that status is to develop the simple reputation as someone who can accomplish and complete the task.

No comments:

Post a Comment