Monday, March 3, 2008

RocketMatter

In lieu of Jim Calloway's recent admonition to our legal practice class, I'm looking at a couple of case management options, although I think I've settled on PracticeMaster. I like the easy-to-use features of the program, and most importantly, the relatively low price (about $700 to start for 1 attorney + 1 assistant).

However, I just got off the phone with a new company called, RocketMatter. I can't remember where I heard of this case management system, but I think this company has created something interesting and very useful. The system "mobilizes" all of your case files, storing them on a web server. Many of the same functions that are found in a system-based program are present in RocketMatter.

There's a couple of things I like about the system, and obviously, like any program, there's a few concerns.

My first love is the prospect of being completely detached from storing my files on my server (prone to crash & burn). This application is truly Web 2.0, and geared to those people always on the go.

Note too that RocketMatter includes a billing and invoice program, which Larry assures me will be improved in the near future. The system integrates a time and manual input for client matters. This is a well rounded program.

The most disheartening problem with RocketMatter is the cost. I'm a little hesistant to pay nearly $800 for 1 attorney and 1 staff member per year (if you're one of the 1st 100) to implement this system. (I've seen previous pricing at $90 per month for each attorney).

Sadly, I predict a slow acceptance and use for this program. I think that far too many attorneys are grounded in traditional practice management systems. To some degree, most people, and especially the dinosaurs, shun applications based on the Web 2.0 model. Even the new comers, like me, hesitate to fully surrender to "the machine."
Let me know what you think, especially if you've demoed the product too.

No comments:

Post a Comment