Friday, November 6, 2009

Another Chuckle & Solo Practice

Courtoons is a blog I subscribe to. It has a variety of law related cartoons. I thought today's was especially funny in light of a recent push by new and old graduates to go solo.

I found this website statistic (I don't know reliability - it was #1 on Google) that showed that in 2006, 36% of all practicing attorneys were in solo practice (this document for Texas states 57% of Texas attorneys are solo or small firm lawyers).

The overwhelming trend is for attorneys to join the workforce as solo or small-firm lawyers. I think some law schools are seeing this trend and quickly realizing that their old model of "BigLaw push" is failing.

A law school organization at my alma mater invited me to speak. Of the 15 or so individuals at the meeting, more than half indicated they seriously consider entering solo/small firm practice upon their graduation. That's a serious commitment, and an absolute need that isn't addressed by the law schools.

No comments:

Post a Comment