Thursday, November 26, 2009

Vacation Time

I'm taking some time this week to celebrate the holiday. As such, I took my family from Oklahoma to visit my in-laws about 1200 miles away.

The problem most solos discover is that if you're not at the office, the work isn't getting done. Admittedly, there are times I hate taking any vacation time because I know when I return, the work will pile up. I'm sure many of the self-employed feel the same way. The truth is though, you need to get away and have some vacation time to recharge and renew.

This trip has been wonderful, because I've been able to relax and enjoy family time, while tackling some issues with clients, potential clients, and opposing counsel.

The first "life-line" has been LogMeIn. The web-based application allows me to connect with my office server and review files, documents, and other important client materials. It's even better because the program is free. You get the full functionality of your office desktop, without having to be in the office.

My second safety-value is Google Voice. This program allows me to receive calls and disguise my cell phone number to connect with clients. I always try to avoid giving my cell phone number to clients because some tend to call your phone at odd hours, on holidays, or whenever. GV disguises the number to my office line, and rings their phone. I can get voice mail messages, and send SMS messages. GV is so good, one client thought I was in the office because I'd just spoke with him from my office number.

Finally, my practice management system, PracticeMaster, has saved me lots of time. I have full access to my cases and can note problems, discuss issues, and take care of business.

I have nothing to gain from any of these programs, except increased performance in my practice. I've discovered that you can enjoy some family time, and still keep an active tab on the processes in your firm.


No comments:

Post a Comment