Friday, November 6, 2009

The Family & Friends Dilemma

There's a common question among all private practitioners about the practicality of representing your family or close friend in legal transactions.

The problem is two-fold: 1. Sometimes as an attorney (especially a new one), the only people that will hire you are your friends and family; and 2. The best referral sources for new clients are your friends and family.

There are some dicey waters when representing "kin," not the least of which is the issue of fees.

Most people are aware of the "family and friends discount." If you're not, it goes something like this:

Because we're (insert your relationship), that means that I'll get a "discount" (often interpreted as free) for the work you perform on my behalf.
I saw this happen to my father (a podiatrist) during each family vacation we took. Family members would expect him to perform complex or time consuming work, simply because he was "kin." I know that he didn't mind doing the small procedures, and I know he often invited family members back to his office to perform more complex work. The truth is, most professionals don't mind helping others because of relationships, the difficulty comes when you're also trying to make a living and protect your interests.

Therefore, I'd like to point you to a great article addressing some of the concerns and problems practitioners should consider before accepting the "family business." I think Mr. Baron's first suggestion about fees is especially important. I send a bill to my family/friends that reflects 3 things: my regular hourly/flat fee total, my discounted ("family & friends") fee, and the words, "Thank you for your business & our friendship."

I think we sometimes forget how important it is to thank our friend for their business. It's easy to forget that we're the ones choosing to reduce the fee, not the other way around.  My thought has always been, business in the door is always better than none-at-all.

Remember, most of the time your family member or friend is only looking for a "bargain," not free business. If you can provide that bargain, then you're going to get their business, if not, they'll finish the question and move on to another provider.

I'd like to know what you think about Mr. Baron's article and some of these issues. he addresses Do you add special "bargains" for family/friends/special clients, that most of the general populace pays for? For instance, I give my full estate planning package to my friends/family, and I also discount or "cap" my contingent fee on cases. Please comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment