Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Everything I Learned Really Was In Kindergarten

Do you remember the craze about 10 or 15 years ago over the "Everything I needed to know, I learned in Kindergarten" materials? I remember how frantic every soccer mom was to get a hold of the poster and tack the momento onto the kitchen fridge or in some child's bedroom.
Well, recently I had the opportunity to sit down with my three year-old and read some classic children's books written by Dr. Seuss. I had never realized this before, but I think a lot of the good "doctor's" books had timely and relevant (subliminal) messages regarding life, similar to those Kindergarten materials.
Consider for example, that old time favorite, The Cat in the Hat. I believe there's a simple lesson mixed among the multitude of rhymes. The Cat in the Hat urges readers to venture out of their comfort zones and experience a new take on a good thing.
Next consider the message expressed in The Sneetches. In a seeming reproach of racism or segregation, Seuss shows that when we focuses on differences, our societies begin to erode.
Finally, look at The Zax. This classic tells the tale of a "north-going Zax, and a south-going Zax" who refuse to change courses when confronted with an obstacle.
I like these, and Dr. Seuss's other stories, because of their fanciful, yet simple take on life. Dr. Seuss's stories show us how to deal with complex scenarios and remember that what life really comes down to is making simple changes in our own. I encourage you to visit this site, or this site to learn more about the wonderful, Dr. Seuss.

No comments:

Post a Comment