Monday, January 28, 2008

My obsession


I'm obsessed with podcasts.

If you're not sure what podcasts are, check out this Wikipedia article for a full explanation. Basically, a podcast is an amateur (sometimes professional) radio/tv/entertainment/local cable access program produced by someone in the garage or office. The topics vary and subjects vary.
I received my iPod as a Christmas gift in 2006, and immediately became obsessed. My obsession will go in spurts, as it's difficult to find great podcasts that are worth listening to. Right now, I subscribe to 11 different podcasts, with 20+ feeds. Some of these are law related (like LegalUnderground, The Digital Edge, and Lawyer2Lawyer), while the vast majority of them are personal interest blogs (US Presidents Podcast and Fly Fish Radio).

The think I like most about the podcast method, is the ability to go anywhere with the information. The iPod allows me to take my information and listen to the materials in the car, at the office, or anywhere else. Additionally, Apple's new implementation of iTunesU might revolutionalize the education process. I say might, because full implementation will not occur until those tenured and techno-fearing professors leave the profession. It's especially unlikely in law schools, at least mine, because of the aversion to recorded lectures. However, if you're a 1L or other law student, trying to get a grasp on things, you might want to check out this podcast produced by students at the University of Cinncinati School of Law.

So if you're looking for an alternative to traditional learning, and you're not subscribed to a podcast, check one out!