Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Some Non-lawyer Activities

About 5 years ago, I purchased a Magellan Sportrak Map GPS device. Like most techo-gadets I purchase, this device lagged behind the "latest and greatest" trends but, the small design and rugged features fit my fancy (not to mention the unbelievable sale price). At last, I was able to do all of the outdoor adventures, without the dreaded compass. I could go anywhere, because I had the digital power of "handheld topo maps."

One of the "new" activities I discovered was Geocaching. This new adventure involves inputing GPS coordinates, and tromping around the countryside looking for someone else's burried or hidden junk, signing a crusty logbook, leaving your own deposit of useless treasures, and reburying the mangled army ammunition box.

Like every other 8 year-old boy, I'd long fascinated about the prospect of being a swashbuckling pirate. I recall many hours my brother and I spent "hoisting the main-sail" and "shivering me timbers" in our pursuits around the neighborhood.

Now, 20-plus years later, holding securely onto my GPS, my heart pumps quickly as the guage shows I'm slowly getting closer to the target. At the "cache," the load of goods is less-than-satisfying, but luckily my heart still thrills from the chase.

The great thing about Geocaching, is that I can get outside and enjoy some interesting expeditions. Another site, launched by the same company, makes locating and photographing historical, local, or other unique transactions the treasure. I'm a manager of the "Cigar Store Indians" category.
If you're not already involved, I'd encourage everyone to get out and scavenge for unique and important locations or unleash your hidden pirate.