Friday, January 11, 2008

Relevance of the ABA?

My firm is a collaboration of solos and small firm practitioners. In total, there are about 15 different attorneys in the office, with various numbers of support staff. This past week, I discussed the relevance of the ABA with one of the attorneys in the office where I work.
In general, we concluded that for solos and small firms, the ABA irrelevant. The ABA's general focus on BIG LAW, makes it pretty much useless for solo and small firm attorneys. As a student member, I can sign up for a small price, and become inundated with materials I will neither read, nor ever purchase in the future - and that's just the section materials, not including the advertising.
However, there are two sections that at least deserve applause and are worth paying for. The General Practice, Solo and Small Firm Division is the first one, followed by the Law Practice Management Section. For their insightful informaton, and helpful practice tips, I think every solo and small firm would benefit.
What's your thought?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jeffrey,

    As a coach who specializes in law firm marketing I would say you are 100% correct in the value you see in the Law Practice Management Section of the ABA. It is a "must join" in my opinion. It will help you get the "right information" with the implementation of that information up to you.

    Henry Harlow

    ReplyDelete