Saturday, February 16, 2008

Google Apps Hack

One of my concerns involves making my PDF files accessible to clients in the Google Apps module. I've raved about the assets of this module, but a downside of the application is that PDF is not a supported upload format in Google Docs. A quick search on Google revealed this gem that seems to solve my dilemma. Here's the hack:

I might catch heck from Google for this little hack, but here's how I get PDF files to work for my Google Apps domain...

As part of creating the web pages for your domain, you can upload files to display on those pages like
images and stuff. Fortunately that also includes PDF files! And since those files are stored in a public location you can access them via a URL link. Then you can create a Google Doc which contains all of the links to those PDF files.

Here's the steps to do this:
1) Select the Web Pages link from your Dashboard
2) On the Web Page Settings page select the Edit your web pages link
3) Upload the PDF file using the Uploaded stuff control on the right side of the page
4) After the document is uploaded, right-click on the link and select the Copy Link Location in FireFox or the Copy Shortcut in IE
5) Paste that link into a Google Doc, an appointment on your Google Calendar, or wherever necessary

No comments:

Post a Comment