Wednesday, September 10, 2008

The techno-lawyer's best friend

This post comes later than expected, because of some events that kept me from posting earlier. My apologies to my one reader.

I discovered the beauty of Microsoft's new Office Suite program, OneNote, in 2003. Back then, the release was a part of the broader MS Office 2003 release, but far less publicized. I received my copy from the University's technology department, immediately contemplating its use. Unfortunately, I did not possess a laptop, and alas, any use I'd make of the new program would have to wait.

During my first year of law school, I introduced numerous classmates to the program, and soon a revolution occurred. I continued to build my proficiency, and tweak the program's uses.

Now, with OneNote 2007, Microsoft seems to be gunning for the attorney market.

One of the greatest features is OneNote's ability to sync with others (collaborate). I'm not sure whether 2003 had this option, I didn't care. But now that I do most of my design work on the desktop, and use my laptop for travel, this feature is indispensible.

I've set up trial notebooks for each of my litigation cases. The ability to cut, paste, and import different files is unique and valuable. These notebooks take the place of my trial binders, and help save some paper. With OneNote, I'm able to import each file as a link, or completely insert the file as a printout. This feature provides an ability for me to arrange my documents, pictures, and exhibits in a way that will benefit the case.

There is a downside to the program, now I want a tablet PC.

1 comment:

  1. Am I your one reader? Or just the only one who comments?

    ReplyDelete