Thursday, September 4, 2008

Wonderful wikis

I'm preparing to open my new firm in October, pending favorable bar results (I'm sure they'll be fine). One of the things I'm working on is arranging for website development, including hosting, design, and maintenance. There's a lot of the technology stuff about website design and hosting, that I already know. Although I'm not going to design the site myself, I plan to implement and maintain a variety of other elements.

One of the items I'm implementing is a firm Wiki. If you're not sure what this is, then check out Wikipedia. As the original purveyor of the Wiki system, Wikipedia has developed the largest online encyclopedia devoted to user generated/edited content (look here for a review).

The concept of the Wiki is that users create and modify content for a particular purpose. I've been implementing this concept into my firm's website to develop an online depository for firm policies, procedures, and other commonly done tasks. The idea is that when I hire on new associates or assistants, we can start off in a cohesive manner, and be able to understand each other and our expectations.

More importantly, I hope that a firm Wiki will enable everyone to develop a relationship of trust and enable our firm to excel at client service.

I remember clearly walking into my current firm as a 1st year law student, being assigned a task, and then having no clue of what to do, or what was expected of me. Within the Wiki, I'm developing a "How To" list of tasks I've done, and obviously directions on how to complete those things. There are simple items, like how to file a case at the courthouse, to more complex things like how to conduct a title search. The lists include particular documents, links, and other items that are important to accomplishing the task. My goal with this is that new members of the firm will not have the anxiety I did when asked to complete the job, and hopefully be more productive and effective.

Moreover, I hope my Wiki will enable me to grow and develop. I believe that the solo or small firm practitioner needs a variety of keys to help. This is especially important when you're completing a task that is highly unique or specialized, and may only occur once in the proverbial blue moon. A step-by-step guide will enable me to retain competence in a particular matter, while focusing on more lucrative or frequently occurring issues.

If you're a solo, and you'd like access to my Wiki, email me or post a comment. Remember, there are some Oklahoma-specific issues, but there are some general tasks too. If you have a "how to" list you'd like to share, let me know also.

No comments:

Post a Comment